Event > THE PARISH CHURCH OF THE FRANCISCAN OF CHIAMPO – DESTINATION OF MARIAN WORSHIP

THE PARISH CHURCH OF THE FRANCISCAN OF CHIAMPO – DESTINATION OF MARIAN WORSHIP Wrapped in the silence of the natural park that surrounds it, the church of the Chiampo Franciscan offers pilgrims moments of high spirituality through the visitation of places of artistic and cultural interest such as museums and the Via Crucis, a rare example of life-size representations. What Chiampo offers  visitors of its main place of worship and in particular of the Franciscan Parish, is to nurture the human spirit through prayer and meditation.. Known, not only for the vanguard in productive activities, this area is also a true landmark of the great religious movement, the Marian, developed around the Lourdes Grotto which attracts many devotees every year. Built in cement and iron in 1935 by Blessed Claudio Granzotto, in the image of the French one, it hosts the statue of the Immaculate, carved in Carrara marble. The Franciscan complex includes: the Church of Pieve, in Romanesque style, in which there is a baroque altar of 1743; the Via Crucis of 560 mt consists of groups of bronze statuary in natural height, made by artists of international fame; the Paleontological Museum opened in 1972 by its founder, Father Aurelio Menin; the new shell-shaped church of Blessed Claudio and inside a beautiful mosaic. Other religious structures in the area, simple architecture, but of great artistic, are the Church of Our Lady of Grace, the Oratory and the Church of St. Anthony of Padua, the Church of St. Martin, the Oratory of the Holy Rosario and the St. Daniel’s church, in which there are the famous frescoes of Vico Calabro.


FURTHER OPERATIONAL INFORMATION
The Franciscan Pieve is accessible by car and public transport. For cyclists, also along interesting parts of bike paths connecting to nearby valleys and towns of Vicenza and Verona.
The Parish was an ancient church, built into the thousands, from which began the evangelization of the Chiampo Valley. Demolished around 1240, it was immediately rebuilt and expanded. The last renovation was in 1962. Since then, the Franciscan presence has developed with the Seminary and the current Sanctuary.
Place to be visited:
The Via Crucis, flanking an avenue of tall and majestic cypress trees and set in a beautiful botanical garden with over 350 species of plants.
The Lourdes Grotto, a faithful reproduction of the Pyrenees one, designed by the Blessed Claudio Granzotto, who was elevated to the altars by Pope John Paul II and defined by the Pope the "sculptor of light and soul". The Blessed Claudio Granzotto is buried at the Grotto .
The Franciscan Museum, divided into 11 sections, is dedicated to "Father Aurelio Menin", passionate and meritorious founder. The Museum contains a precious cultural heritage with interesting collections of fossils, archaeological finds, plaster casts with the works of Blessed Claudio and many more.
The new Church of Blessed Claudio, designed by Franciscan Father Angelo Polesello and Eng. Ferruccio Zecchin, which develops the idea of a shell and a symbol of the pilgrim, very familiar in this Valley of the fossils.
OPENING TIMES TO PARISH
Visits to the Parish:
Open daily from 8.00 am to 12.00 and from 15.00 to 19.00
Visits to the Cave and the Via Crucis:
Open daily from 8.00 am to 19.00
Museum ansd religious objects shop:
Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9.00 to 12.30 and from 14.30 to 19.00
Guided tours for groups min. 15 people, price € 2.00 per person.
CONTACT:
Father Damien Baschirotto
Reservations Office Tel.0444 623 250
E mail: fratichiampo@libero.it
  • via Pieve
    Chiampo (VI)

COMUNE DI CHIAMPO


The town of "Chiampo" is a Public administration, near Vicenza.
Company Contacts
PIAZZA ZANELLA 42
36072 - CHIAMPO (VI)
0039 0444 475235 www.comune.chiampo.vi.it
Further information
Chiampo boasts a diverse and charming landscape. The valley opens up, rising along the banks of the eponymous river “Campus” in fact means the plain or cultivated field. Some scholars believe it was derived from Klam-po i.e. little Po or a place hidden among thicket and small valleys. Its ups and downs through history have witnessed its rule by Venice until the abdication of the Doge of Venice on May 12, 1797, a date commemorated with the “Tree of Liberty”. It then fell under Austrian rule which continued for over 8 years. In 1806, Napoleon aggregated Veneto to the new Kingdom of Italy which lasted until the 1813 defeat in Leipzig when it was returned to the Austrians and included in the Lombardy-Veneto kingdom. An important movement for Italian unification that took place thanks to the patriots Paolo Mistrorigo and Giacomo Zanella, allowed for annexation to the national government. Starting from that point, the marble, leather and silk industries developed, which found new impetus at the end of World War II. Land was used for industrial purposes here and in fact, entrepreneurship involving leather tanning and then marble started here, achieving and still maintaining international  ladership today.
Expo Veneto schedule

Date of event

Click on the date of interest to add it to your favorites.

1 Date NOT available 1 Date available 1 Date of interest