Wydarzenie/event > Visits to the Palace of the Province of Padua for Expo 2015

VISITS TO THE PALACE OF THE PROVINCE OF PADUA FOR EXPO 2015 A journey through centuries of history: from Benedictine Nunnery to Palazzo delle  Istituzioni (Palace of Government Institutions), Palazzo Santo Stefano is located in the heart of Padua, opposite the tomb of Antenore, the legendary founder of the city.
 
Located a few kilometres from Venice, Padua is - culturally and economically - one of the most dynamic towns in the Veneto Region. Thanks to its central geographical position and to its numerous waterways, the Paduan territory has been occupied by humans since ancient times, becoming the cradle of the ancient
venetian civilization in the ninth century BC. In the imperial era Padua represented  one of the most important cities of the Roman Empire in Italy. The medieval times witnessed a development both of its  territory and of its economy.
A visit to Palazzo Santo Stefano offers a glimpse on the history of the city. To experience History, trying to draw from it a behavioural strategy for life in the future,  is a necessary cultural basis  in order to respect and preserve the planet.
The site has undergone many changes over the years. In the Year 1000 the Benedictine nunnery of St. Stephen, whose life is closely intertwined with the town, on the political, cultural and economic level was established here. The monastery lived through eight centuries of history, alternating moments of prosperity and stages of decay; in 1800, a time that saw the suppression of religious orders, the monastery of Santo Stefano ceased its activity. In the area in front of the Palace several buildings were demolished to make room for the present square, where the graves of Antenore, the legendary founder of the city, and Lovato de 'Lovati, a Paduan humanist, are located. In the nineteen-sixties the Naviglio Interno, the channel dating back to the Roman period that lapped the area and passed under the bridge near San Lorenzo, was covered with earth.
A background of tangled vicissitudes related to the architectural design of the palace and its realization has characterized the transformation of the site to its present state. The Palace is now the headquarters of the Province and the Prefecture of Padua.
The guided tour winds through several rooms, among which the most prestigious is the Council Hall, built in 1876 and returned to former glory after a major restoration completed in November 2012. The great hall is graced by frescoes and paintings of different subjects of the master Carlo Matscheg, accompanied by stucco decorations and faux marble. The central panel depicts the Fall of Pergamon and inside the vault are portraits of  famous people including Tito Livio, Alberto Mussato, Cardinal Zabarella.
A visit to the palace and its historical rooms is also an opportunity to learn about how the political and administrative activity of the Province is performed, and to approach provincial institutions.
 


DODATKOWE INFORMACJE OPERACYJNE
The visits to Palazzo Santo Stefano during Expo 2015 will take place from May to October 2015, on Thursday mornings. Visits are free and require advance reservation.
For reservations please send a request via email to cerimoniale@provincia.padova.it specifying the chosen date, the time, the required language, your nationality, the number of people involved.
For more information: www.provincia.padova.it
  • piazza antenore 3
    Padova (PD)

PROVINCIA DI PADOVA


The Province of Padua, the most densely populated in the Veneto Region, is located in a strategic position at the centre both of the main axes of communication in the Region and of an infrastructure and economic network with a strong potential. It is therefore a privileged centre of attraction, only a  30-minute drive from Venice and Vicenza, 50 minutes from Treviso and Verona, 60 minutes from the sea and Lake Garda.
 
Kontakty Firm
PIAZZA ANTENORE 3
35121 - PADOVA (PD)
+390498201111 www.provincia.padova.it
Dodatkowe informacje
The territory of the Province of Padua with its 104 municipalities testifies to over 3,000 years of history through a dense intertwining of evidence: medieval walled towns, ramparts, villas, castles, parks, monuments, frescoed chapels, oratories, treasures preserved in the churches.
The Province of Padua has established a network of museums with the intent to make its cultural and environmental heritage more accessible to everybody. Museums are seen as alive and living spaces, places of science or history, but also as relaxing spots to spend some time with family and friends, to discover many oddities and the beauties of Padua and the Euganean Hills.
The centuries-old culinary tradition of Padua is rooted in the simple products of the courtyard and of the vineyard, in the fruits of the season, and in some areas in the wild herbs, of which the Euganean Hills are rich. You can relish the delights of agricultural production and the culinary tradition of Padua on traditional holidays or during the countless food and wine events: the Euganean Hills and Bagnoli Wine Roads, the dairies, exquisite products such as the variegated radicchio "Fior di Maserà", the cold cuts, the sweet potato of Anguillara and Stroppare, the white and green Asparagus, the pear and the apple from Castelbaldo, the ham from Montagnana, the olive oil of the Euganean Hills, and not least, the renowned hens Padovana and Polverara, the farms, the taverns, the restaurants, the hotels and the specialty shops.
Handicraft is a widespread activity in the territory, so that Padua  can be seen as a real "artisan province" whose strengths are represented by tradition, creativity and technical skill. Woodworking - also linked to the production of musical instruments - is quite widespread and sophisticated.
 
Kalendarz Expo Veneto

Dni w których odbędzie się wydarzenie

Kliknij na interesujący Cię dzień, by dodać go do sekcji moje kalendarium

1 data niedostępna 1 data dostępna 1 Preferowana data wizyty