Событие > Lorenzago, Village of the Holy Pope

Traces and memories of the Popes in Lorenzago
Come and visit the Popes Museum, where memories of both Popes are held.
Lorenzago di Cadore, a village in the Dolomites, UNESCO Heritage, where the Holy Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI vacationed, presents a Museum with a collection of memories of the Popes as world peace messengers.
In the year 2005, when the Beatified Pope John Paul II died, a group of young volunteers with the support of  Father Sergio De Martin, Lorenzago’s parish priest, wanted to create a tangible memento of the 6 vacations the Popes spent in the small village.
The historic rectory, in disuse for several years, was the most suitable location for a permanent exposition dedicated to these illustrious figures and for this reason it was restructured.
The 19th century building, erected with the stones retrieved from the demolished bell tower, has a large central entrance hall with four side rooms, resembling the noble houses of the past.
 This building has been the residence of Father Sesto Da Pra, the Parish Priest, during all his sixty years of ministry.
Father Da Pra  always welcomed the Pope on his vacations, to the point that they developed a relationship of respect and strong friendship. The Priest was appointed Monsignor during the Angelus prayer at the Mirabello Cottage.
For this reason on the ground floor we find his office with pictures and souvenirs and on the upper floor, placed in beautiful cabinets, his whole library, which  he left to the Parish in his will.
 On July 12th 2005, on the occasion of the patron Saints festival, Ermagora and Fortunato martyrs from Aquileia, the Museum was inaugurated by Monsignor Alberto Maria Careggio, Bishop of Ventimiglia – San Remo and Wojtyla’s companion during his hikes in Val d’Aosta.
The exposition mainly shows pictures of the Holy Father in different  moments, official events and in the middle of nature, and  very precious items that belonged to Karol Wojtyla.
A very touching room dedicated to contemplation, with an evocative picture of Pope Wojtyla clinging to a cross and precious relics obtained directly from Cracow.
In the building there is a projector room where documentaries made during the 6 vacations are shown.
Since 2007 a room has been dedicated to Pope Benedict XVI who wanted to spend 3 weeks in Lorenzago, following his predecessor’s footsteps.

Другая рабочая информация
  • Via costola, 26
    Lorenzago di Cadore (BL)


Local Government
Контакты предприятий
Via Faureana, 117
32040 - Lorenzago di Cadore (BL)
39043575001 www.lorenzagodicadore.bl.it
Другая информация
The name Lorenzago comes from the Latin word Laurentiacum: the Romans in fact gave this name to the village, when the entire Cadore area became a part of their Empire.
Lorenzago enjoys a privileged geographic position: situated on a green sunlit plateau at 880 meters a.s.l. it overlooks the Centrocadore Lake.
Lorenzago is framed by gentle slopes of meadows and leafy forests:  the mighty and unobstructed Mount Cridola (m. 2581) rises above it all, like “a crenelleted medieval castle with on its sides the lofty loop-holes of the Spalti di Toro and Monfalconi Mountains." (Severino Casara).
The view is breath-taking.  Lorenzago was once known as “ Venice of the North”, for its fine Patrician mansions among which the outstanding Tremonti Mansion, dating back to the XVI century.  It is good to remember that in his Ode “Cadore”, Giosuè Carducci described this place as “aprica” (wide-open to sun and air)
In time the village has been appreciated as a holiday resort;  Pope John Paul II also chose to spend his vacation here several times.
The village has about 600 inhabitants and is  devided into two hamlets, Villapiccola and Villagrande, 
The important Carnica mainroad runs through it, linking Cadore with the Friuli Region, across the Mauria, a transit pass for centuries; there the sweep of the horizon embraces both the River Piave valley and the Tagliamento River in Friuli; along the eight kilometers between Lorenzago and the Mauria Pass, you can admire magnificent views of the Marmarole and the Antelao Mountains.
Lorenzago’s  history can be associated with the rest of the Cadore Valley.
We will briefly mention that the first written documents about Lorenzago date back to the XIII century and that the Regulation Laws are from 1365.
In the same century there were quarrels about boundary lines with the neighbouring village Forni di sopra, but the controversy was definitely settled in 1350.
During the first years of the XVI century, in Lorenzago as well as in other villages of the Cadore Valley battles took place between the armies of the Cambrai League and Venice.
When in 1508-11 Cadore was invaded by the troops of Maximilian of Habsburg, the inhabitants of Lorenzago wanted to build a church in the hamlet of Villapiccola, dedicated to Mary, Mother of Protection, as a vow against war and plague.
Of the magnificent wooden altar by Nicolò da Brunico (1525) only the altar-step and a statue of S.Rocco remain.
The church we see today dates back to 1841: the sixteenth-century church was destroyed by two fires. Some of Giovanni Da Udine marvelous fresco paintings, adorning the choir of the previous building, fortunately survived the fires.
The fine parish church dates back to the XVIII century and it holds a precious painting by Cesare Vecellio in the choir.
In the year 1848 Lorenzago witnessed severe battles when the people from Cadore resisted the Austrian invaders.
In July 1855 a terrible fire destroyed the hamlet of Villagrande but it was soon rebuilt based on a new town plan: the project was conceived by Architect Segusini who followed the example of Turin.
Календарь Expo Veneto

Даты проведения события

Выбери интересующий день, чтобы присоединить к твоим событиям.

1 Дата не доступна 1 Доступная дата 1 Дата интерес